Reviewed by Health Coach Carli Webb, MS
Need a simple, natural and delicious way to detox this January? Try this tasty recipe filled with foods and spices to help cleanse your body from harmful toxins including:
- Cauliflower, rich in Vitamin K, is instrumental in fighting inflammation and detoxifying the liver.
- Garlic contains sulfhydryl which helps remove toxic substances from the body, plus it’s a powerful antibiotic, aids in digestion and regulates blood pressure.
- Cumin contains thymol, phosphorus and aldehyde which help flush toxins from the body, plus it has antibacterial and antiviral properties to aid in all kinds of infections.
- Lentils are recognized as one of the best foods to cleanse the liver.
- Cilantro helps detox from heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and arsenic.
- 4 tablespoons of organic coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 3-5 gloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups organic low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup organic couscous
- ½ cup lentils
- 2-3 limes
- ½ cup yogurt
- Cilantro, chipped
- 6 ounces spinach
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (for serving)
- Heat oil in a large pot and add cauliflower. Stir for 5 minutes until it browns.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add curry, salt and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add couscous, lentils and chickpeas. Reduce heat and simmer. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes until the broth is reduced to a thick sauce.
- Juice 1 lime (3 tablespoons) and mix with yogurt and chopped cilantro.
- Fold spinach into the pot and top with cilantro, almond and yogurt sauce