When you adopt a natural, whole foods diet many assume that treats are off-limits forever. Not so! By creating substitutes for common favorites using whole and natural ingredients we can create delicious, naturally sweetened treats to enjoy on occasion.
This avocado mousse is one of our favorites! It is easy and filled with nutrients; avocados contain a wide variety of nutrients including 20 different vitamins and minerals! Avocados contain vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium, B vitamins, magnesium, and more. Avocados are nearly 80% fat and contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid that is also found in olive oil. Oleic acid has been associated with reduced depression and may be protective against coronary heart disease. Kids and adults alike love this rich, creamy chocolate treat! You can get creative with the toppings; add a sprinkle of chopped nuts (pecans, sliced almonds, walnuts, or cashews are good choices), a mixture of berries, coconut flakes, chia seeds, and more.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (make sure they are vegan)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- Optional: 1-3 teaspoons raw honey, maple syrup, or monkfruit sweetener for a keto-friendly version
- For serving: fresh berries, chopped pecans, sliced almonds, walnuts, or cashews, coconut flakes, and/ or chia seeds
- Carefully melt the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or in a glass dish over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool until lukewarm.
- Add all ingredients except sweetener to blender. Blend until well mixed, with no chunks visible. Taste and add sweetener as desired. Blend once more.
- For a thicker mousse, refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight; otherwise, spoon into glasses and add toppings. Enjoy!