1 in 5 U.S. adults are suffering from post-COVID symptoms and health conditions they can’t otherwise explain.
You could be one of them.
Did you know? You could have symptoms, ranging from mild to severe, for weeks, months or even years after your initial COVID-19 infection.
Known as Long Haul COVID Syndrome, Long COVID, or Post COVID, the World Health Organization defines it as persistent symptoms and the development of new health conditions four or more weeks after an initial COVID infection has cleared.
So, what are Long COVID symptoms?
Common symptoms range from fatigue, shortness of breath and brain fog, to muscle aches, rapid or irregular heartbeat, diminished appetite, weakened immunity and much more.
These and other symptoms you’re experiencing that are hard to explain or manage, may not be as random as you thought.
Some people are also experiencing a reactivation or flare up with their autoimmune issues, Lyme Disease or even Epstein-Barr.
How long does Long Haul COVID Syndrome last and what causes symptoms after the initial infection has cleared?
The COVID-19 virus produces spike proteins in the body, which allow the virus to penetrate your cells and cause infection. Studies now suggest the spike proteins can damage your mitochondria, suppress immunity, and form abnormal proteins that may create deposits in arteries and organs. This may result in:
- Chronic inflammation which can lead to the stress, damage and death of your cells. It can also overburden the immune system making it more susceptible to become dysregulated leading to autoimmune conditions.
- Damage in cell function which can prevent cells from not being efficiently discarded from the body to prevent possible cancer formation.
- Decreased energy levels whereby the mitochondria within a cell becomes damaged and affects how the sugar we ingest is converted into energy for the body to use. This can lead to low-energy symptoms like fatigue, muscle and joint aches, and more.
- Long-term damage to Organs whereby the proteins bind to receptors and cause inflammation in the body, causing injury over time to organs and blood vessels.
Addressing the Root Cause of Long Haul COVID Syndrome
Long Haul COVID Syndrome can be tricky to diagnose and heal on your own, however a root-cause approach using functional and integrative medicine can help you find relief and place you on the road to recovery.
At Forum Health, our providers look at you as a whole person by examining key areas of the body and mind (and their associated symptoms), which may be linked to Long Haul COVID Syndrome.
Curious if you have Long Haul COVID?
Take our online assessment.
These are just some of the symptoms of Long Haul COVID Syndrome and only your provider can provide a diagnosis. If you’re suffering with persistent symptoms, we can help.
Neurological and Psychiatric
- Brain fog
- Depression and Anxiety
- Poor concentration
- Sleep disturbance
Skin and Dermatologic
- Skin itching
- Muscle aches
- Joint pains
- Pain during exercise
- Pain after exercise
- Struggle with basic activities