By Staff of Forum Health Las Colinas
Hormone Imbalances don’t just affect women. Know the signs for Men.
Forum Health offers bioidentical hormones for men as well as for women. It’s more common to associate hormone replacement therapy with women, especially because women’s hormone levels fluctuate and wane so significantly as they enter the menopausal years. However, men have their own version of menopause, but it’s called Andropause.
The word Andropause originates from the Greek words “andras,” meaning human male and “pause,” meaning “cessation” and is a syndrome associated with a decrease in sexual satisfaction or decline of a general sense of well-being associated with low testosterone levels of men.
Whereas women’s symptoms can come on more suddenly as they transition out of the childbearing years, men’s symptoms tend to be more gradual. Because of this, most men don’t think of themselves as possibly having hormonal imbalances. Instead, they may just think the way they feel is a natural part of aging and not realize that bioidentical hormone replacement therapy can help them to feel more youthful again and keep them healthy!
If hormones for men are optimally balanced, you should be sleeping well, have energy, a strong immune system, a strong sex drive, and a healthy zest for life. If you are not experiencing these feelings of vitality, imbalanced or insufficient hormone production is often the cause.
Symptoms of Hormone issues in Men include:
- Loss of muscle mass
- Low mood/depression symptoms
- Increase and redistribution of fat (more around the abdomen)
- Lowered sex drive
- Difficulty getting or maintaining an erection
- Decrease in motivation
- Decreased bone density
- Decrease or loss of self-confidence
- Difficulty remembering things or trouble concentrating
- Difficulty sleeping
- Joint aches
- Poor tolerance for exercise
Causes of Hormone Imbalances
Aging isn’t the only cause of Andropause. Other endocrine imbalances can contribute too. While testosterone is the most important and predominant sex hormone, its production depends on an array of other hormones and their function too. Other common things that can cause or accelerate testosterone insufficiencies include:
- Poor health or illness
- Carrying extra weight
- Alcohol in excess
- Some medications
- Thyroid imbalances
- Sleep apnea
- Insulin resistance
- Estrogen imbalance (men make estrogen too)
- Poor diet
- High inflammation levels
- High lipid levels
- Lack of exercise/sedentary lifestyle
Low levels of testosterone can in turn increase risk factors for metabolic syndrome, obesity, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, and cardiovascular disease. Testosterone deficiency and imbalanced hormones for men are also associated with an increased risk factor of death within 20 years, independent of other risk factors and preexisting disease.
Bioidentical Hormones for Men and Anti-Aging Services
The proper way to address Andropause is through an integrated, personalized, comprehensive, and regularly monitored program. Our treatment protocol incorporates laboratory testing, provider consultation, comprehensive health assessment, medically proven supplements, and professionally compounded bioidentical hormones tailored for your individual needs.
We want you to be healthy and maintain the optimal balance of all hormones necessary to ensure that your overall wellness is the best it can possibly be. Our program relies on the expertise of our providers. They will use their medical knowledge and experience to help you make the best decisions regarding diet, exercise, stress management, pharmaceutical-grade supplements, and hormones for men, as you work to achieve optimum physical and mental health so that you can lead an active and productive lifestyle that you desire!
Benefits of Bioidentical Hormones for Men
- Increased energy
- Restored and/or increased libido
- Increased memory and cognitive function
- Increased muscle mass/less fat
- Improved sleep
- Improved mood
- Improved skin appearance
- Disease prevention
- Improved ability to lose abdominal fat
Hormones for Men: Lab Testing
Restoring hormones for men into proper balance has many positive health benefits. Forum Health offers extensive laboratory testing to specifically identify which hormones might need balancing. This testing also looks at other health markers which provide a whole-body approach so that optimal hormone balance can be achieved and any underlying issues can be addressed. Our providers will prescribe bioidentical hormones for men that are produced to exacting standards in qualified compounding pharmacies. These products are designed to mirror the hormones produced by the body. Your lab panel will test levels of the following:
- PSA – Prostate-specific antigen test
- CBC – Complete blood panel
- CMP – Comprehensive metabolic panel
- CRP, Cardiac
- Sex hormone-binding globulin, serum
- Free T3 – Thyroid
- Reverse T3 – Thyroid
- Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) – Thyroid
- Thyroglobulin antibodies – Thyroid
- Hemoglobin A1C
- Testosterone Free, Serum with Total Testosterone
- TSH – Thyroid
- Lutenizing hormone
- Lipid panel
- Vitamin B12 and Folate
- Vitamin D3
Based on your health concerns, other tests may be added. We understand that hormone balance is part of the whole-body balance and in order to achieve optimal health, all systems need to be operating correctly. Hormones are chemical messengers that affect just about every physiological process in the body. They also work synergistically with each other, so if one hormone is out of balance, it is likely that others may be too.
Our providers offer nutritional counseling and discussions regarding sleep and stress management. We understand that an integrative approach to balancing hormones for men coupled with improved overall health is the key to the success of this program and the health of our patients.
Wellness For Men
We all age. But the effects of aging can be counterbalanced with the right tools and lifestyle changes. With the assistance of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and proper nutrition, we work with you to sustain a lifestyle of wellness catered to your individual needs. The following supplements may be recommended to help you achieve optimal health and wellness in addition to hormones for men. Supplements are an optional part of our program:
- Multivitamin – The average diet can be lacking in complete nutrition due to eating processed foods, nutrient-poor foods, and nutrient-depleting preparation methods. Combine these with the toll of lifestyle stress and oxidizing chemicals found in foods and the environment, it becomes essential to ensure a comprehensive foundation of nutrition for your body.
- Vitamin D3 – The role of Vitamin D in good health continues to expand as the knowledge of this vitamin’s effects on different body systems grows. Research indicates that optimal serum levels of Vitamin D support immune function, cardiovascular health, mood, bone and dental health, as well as neurologic and cognitive health.
- Vitamin B Complex – Supports adrenal and neurological functions. This product features activated forms of vitamins B2, B6, and B12.
- CoQ10 – This plays a major role in energy production and antioxidant protection in the body. It supports the health and functioning of the cardiovascular system as well as that of the neuromuscular and central nervous systems.
- NiaVasc – (Niacin) is one of the most studied and documented nutrients for support of lipid levels, especially high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) levels. Sustained-release Niacin, as found in NiaVasc, has a lesser flushing effect compared with instant-release Niacin.
- Omega Fish Oils – This supplement has been proven to support cardiovascular health, joint tissue, as well as brain and nervous system function. Additionally, it aids in keeping inflammation levels down.
- Magnesium – This is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body and plays a role in over 300 metabolic processes. It aids in the development and maintenance of bones and teeth, the metabolism of carbs, blood glucose, fats, proteins along with the formation of cells and tissues, and the maintenance of muscle function to include the cardiac muscle. Magnesium provides great symptom relief for leg cramps, constipation, and anxiety.
We use pharmaceutical-grade supplements to ensure quality and optimal absorption. You can purchase your supplements from any source however you are not always guaranteed the same level of quality when your purchase from the general marketplace. We are not suggesting that such products have no value; however, given the lack of stringent testing requirements for dietary supplements, product quality varies widely.
The Gut Health Connection to Hormones for Men
More and more studies are showing how important gut health is to overall health. It is estimated that 70% – 80% of the immune system’s strength is linked to the health of the gut microbiome. When you have a strong immune system, it doesn’t just protect you against acute conditions such as the flu. It also protects you from autoimmune conditions, chronic diseases, and even cancer and cardiovascular risk. Studies have also shown that gut health has a direct effect on how the endocrine system functions.
If the microbiome is out of balance, your hormones will not completely return to a state of homeostasis even with bioidentical hormone balancing.
Balancing the beneficial microbial flora in the gut is key to digestion, nutrient usage, and ridding the body of waste and pathogens. Keeping the beneficial and harmful bacteria balanced in your GI tract can rid you of conditions such as:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gluten sensitivity
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Joint pain
- Weight issues
- Chronic fatigue
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid reflux/Heartburn
- Auto-immune disease
- Insulin resistance
- Imbalanced hormones
- And more