Leaky gut syndrome is when your gut lining has large cracks or holes allowing partially digested food, toxins and bacteria things to enter the bloodstream. And when the body cannot digest correctly, it can’t absorb vital nutrients potentially causing immune dysfunction, hormone imbalance, and other health conditions.
What are the symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome?
- Abdominal bloating
- Burning feeling in your gut
- Excessive gas and cramps
- Food sensitivities
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Painful digestion
- Autoimmune issues
Do you struggle with any of these? You may want to ask you Functional Provider to look for leaky gut.
Tests that look for leaky gut
If you suspect you have Leaky Gut Syndrome, your functional or integrative medicine provider can perform a number of tests including blood and/or stool tests.
- Zonulin or Lactulose Test (Advanced Intestinal Barrier Test)
- Zonulin is a fecal protein that best reflects intestinal permeability. Increased fecal levels are often considered a marker of an impaired intestinal barrier.
- Lactulose Test determines if there is excessive bacteria in the small bowel
- IgG Food Intolerance Test (LeapMRT Test) – Tests for food intolerances such as wheat (gluten), dairy and soy.
- Stool Test (Genova GI-2200 Comprehensive Stool Test) – Offers insight on inflammation in the gut and how well you digest and absorb food.
- Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies Test (ION Profile with 40 Amino Acids)- Assess vitamin and mineral levels in the blood.
How to get started on gut healing?
The gut contains 10X more bacteria than the rest of your body, good and bad, and is a large part of your immune system.
Evaluate what you are eating every day. Your diet may be the ultimate driver of your gut inflammation! The typical American is eating a diet high in sugar and saturated fat, and low in fiber and nutrients. Go ahead and remove refined grains and oils, sugar, and highly processed foods from your diet. Incorporate more gut healing options:
- Bone Broth(Kettle and Fire)
- Fermented Veggies
- Sprouted Seeds
- Omega-3 Fats
Already doing some of these? That is great, keep up the good work! However, if you need more help and a detailed plan personalized to you and your unique health challenges, Forum Health is here.