In your quest for beauty and personal care, it’s easy to overlook the toxins lurking in many conventional products. Harmful chemicals, toxins, and synthetic substances can wreak havoc on your health and may be hiding in your favorite products.
Just like you check the ingredients in your food, it’s important to know what ingredients are being used in the products that you put on your skin daily. Moisturizers, sunscreen, makeup and fragrances can all have harmful chemicals that could cause health problems in the long term by overwhelming your detox pathways.
Understand how toxins can affect your health through your skincare, makeup and fragrances:
- Non-Toxic Skincare: Did you know that your skin is your largest organ? What you apply to it matters because the product does not always stay on the skin’s surface. Certain chemicals can permeate the layers of skin and even enter the bloodstream. Seek skincare products with natural ingredients, avoiding parabens, sulfates, and synthetic fragrances. Opt for organic and plant-based formulas, rich in nourishing oils like argan, jojoba, and rosehip. Look for non-toxic sunscreen options, like zinc, that protect your skin without harmful chemicals like oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Beauty and Makeup: Makeup can be fun and a great way to express yourself, but not at the risk of compromising your health. There are several non-toxic makeup brands that prioritize organic and mineral-based ingredients. Look for products free of phthalates, formaldehyde, and artificial colors. If you have sensitive skin or are prone to acne, mineral makeup can provide excellent coverage without clogging pores or causing irritation.
- Fragrance Safety: Did you know that traditional perfumes can contain undisclosed toxic chemicals? Spraying perfume on your skin daily can pose risks to your respiratory and endocrine systems. Choose natural fragrances derived from essential oils or plant-based extracts. Many companies now offer non-toxic, eco-friendly perfumes that are cruelty-free and sustainable.
You don’t have to compromise beauty or your self-care routine, there are several non-toxic alternatives that promote both beauty and well-being, and technology to make finding these products easier. Schedule an appointment to learn about your options.
Non-Toxic alternatives to incorporate into your beauty and self-care routine:
- Coconut oil serves as a fantastic all-natural moisturizer and makeup remover.
- Witch hazel is an excellent toner that helps balance the skin’s pH.
- Aloe vera gel soothes and hydrates the skin while aiding in wound healing.
- Activated charcoal effectively detoxifies the skin and can be used in facial masks.
- Shea butter is a nourishing option for body lotions and hair care products.
Health Coach Amber Shuey, FMCHC shares some great tips on how to “Ditch the Toxins and Glow Naturally!”
Discover the top apps and resources for choosing non-toxic beauty and personal care products:
- EWG Healthy Living App: The Environmental Working Group’s app rates products based on their safety and toxicity levels, making it easy to check labels and make informed choices.
- Think Dirty App: This app scans product barcodes and provides an easy-to-understand rating of the product’s safety and ingredient list. Open the app on your phone while shopping to compare different products and choose the least-toxic option.
- Cruelty-Free App: Make cruelty-free choices easy with this app! Easily find beauty and personal care products that have not been tested on animals.
- Skin Deep Database: Another resource from EWG is their online database, which allows you to search for product ratings and safety information to guide their non-toxic beauty purchases.
- Check the Label to be Certified Organic: USDA Organic and COSMOS help you ensure the products meet rigorous organic standards.
You don’t have to empty out all of your products at once, it’s about making better choices each opportunity you have. Once it’s time to restock your skincare, beauty and personal care products, use these tips to shop for new favorites that will still keep you feeling and looking your best!
Not only is reducing toxins beneficial for your health but it contributes to a more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle. Remember, you can radiate natural beauty inside and out, all while protecting your health and nurturing your body and the environment, one non-toxic product at a time!
Forum Health offers beauty and aesthetics services provided by experienced practitioners. We specialize in personalized root-cause medicine to address the unique needs of each patient. Our team includes health coaches, nutritionists, behavioral providers, and doctors who work together to provide comprehensive care. Whether you’re looking for non-toxic skincare options or seeking advice on nutrition for better skin, Forum Health can help.