by Dr. Wally Taylor of Forum Health, Austin
Try this delicious paleo snack recipe that contains healthy fats and protein to keep you feeling satiated until your next meal! Note that this recipe contains options for both higher and lower sugar content; if you are looking to lose weight use the lower-sugar options below. This recipe contains collagen which wonderful for hair, skin, nails, brain function and overall energy.
- 1/2 cup organic, grass-fed collagen protein (I use Vital Proteins)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic nut butter (cashew butter, almond butter or peanut butter work best)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (omit and add extra MCT oil for a low-sugar version)
- 1 tbsp apple sauce unsweetened (or unsweetened canned organic coconut milk for a low-sugar version)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life or Lily’s Sweets chocolate chips)
- 1/3-1/4 tsp salt finely ground Himalayan pink salt or sea salt
- Optional: 1 tbsp MCT oil your favorite for an extra brain and energy boost
- Optional: unsweetened shredded coconut to roll the balls in
- In a large bowl, whisk together collagen, coconut flour, almond flour, and salt.
- Add nut butter, maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla, and stir until mixed well.
- Stir in chocolate chips and finish mixing. The dough will look like cookie dough, but a bit more sticky. It should roll nicely into a ball.
- Roll into balls (1 inch or a bit smaller). Optional: roll some or all of the balls in unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Store in fridge, and try not to overdo it! They’re delicious!